Who can join?
Anyone! You can register as a team (minimum 3 and maximum 5) or come alone. But you'll need to bring your own laptop of course. If you don't code but would like to join in to see what it's like, you're welcome as audience to cheer on! You can also join us online if being on-site is not possible.
How it works
Complete the task correctly and fast to get into the next round. Form a team of 3-5 people with your friends or simply turn up and join forces with other code wizards in the crowd! Unsure? Join the the fun by bringing your laptop and try to beat the official teams from the audience. Complete the fun instant knockout tournament to seize the cup and bring the glory home as the winning team. May the best team win.
มาร่วมการแข่งขันสุดท้ายแห่งปี 2020 กับ Codewar challenge!
หน้าหนาวนี้ช่างเหมาะกับการเขียนโค้ด งานนี้ไม่จำกัดภาษาที่ใช้ แค่แก้โจทย์ให้สมบูรณ์และรวดเร็วเพื่อผ่านเข้ารอบ
ฟอร์มทีมมา 3-5 คน หรือ มาคนเดียวแล้วค่อยหาทีมในงานก็ได้!
Codewar is a community powered event!
We thank our sponsors Oozou, AIS Playground, Nimble, Cloud Ace, Watashi, Odds and Brikl for their support.
Codewar is greatly supported by the following communities:
What do I need to bring to Codewar?We recommend you bring a laptop along to take part. If you don't bring a laptop you can still join another team, or just cheer on the teams as a spectator. Bring a mask. We are a covid unfriendly event.
What's the wifi?AIS_event1 - pw = a1s@2020
AIS_workshop1 - pw = a1s@2020
Do I need a ticket?Yes please register for a free ticket using the link above. Tickets are limited so please register early!
How does the qualification round work?Qualification rounds determine the 8 teams who will enter the tournament. We will show a simple programming puzzle on the big screen. Everyone tries to solve the puzzle using their own laptops. You submit your answers via a live website. The fastest people to solve the puzzle become the team captains for the tournament. They form a 6 teams of 3-5 people who will all share one laptop for the knockout matches. We will keep taking answers until we have 6 teams formed. If you already have a team formed, then you can try to qualify as a team or as individuals, but as long as one gets in, you all get in. If you don't have a team but do qualify, don't worry, we can find you some teammates.
Teams 7 & 8 will be formed from those from the audience who who answer the first few knockout rounds first and before the competing teams on stage. This is your 2nd chance to get into the compition.
How do the knockout rounds work?We will show a simple programming puzzle on the big screen. Two teams on stage try to solve the puzzle at the same time, and we project their text editors on the big screen so you can see who is doing better!
- The fastest team to solve the puzzle continues to the next round. The question is designed to be solved in less than 20min.
- It is a knockout tournament of 8 teams, so there will be 7 rounds and you will have to beat 3 other teams to win
- There has to be working code which prints just the correct single answer
- The team has to annouce they have the answer and wait for it to be judged
- If no team has the answer within 20min then the quizmaster can decide to either extend the time or determine who was closest to getting the right answer. The quizmaster's decision is final for any this or any other need to declare a winner
- There is only one laptop/phone/computer allowed per team
- Your teams laptop needs to have a functioning port for external display mirroring and you will need to set a large font size so everyone can see. be prepared
- You can use the internet but remember everyone will see it up on the big screen :)
Everyone else can try to solve the puzzle from the audience! If you solve it before the teams on stage there is no prize, just the "smug" satisfaction of knowing you really would have won if you had just qualified. Next year?
What are the prizes?
- The Winning team of the final will receive a medal and a SoundPeats True Wireless Sonic bluetooh earbuds each (Thanks to OOZOU). Each member will also receive a 1000baht Shopee voucher (thanks to Shopee)
- The Runnerup team in the final will receive a medal and a wifi webcam each from Watashi.
- There will some lucky door prizes of vouchers from Shopee
Am I allowed to just come along and watch?Yes absolutely. We do encourge you to bring a laptop however because the puzzles are addictive and half the fun is trying to beat those on stage playing.
Can I answer the same questions from the audience?Yes!. The same questions are available to anyone. It's fun to try and see if you can solve it before the teams on stage. You can write answers in any language, you just need a laptop. We call teams in the audience "smug teams". Smug because without the performance pressure you can often beat the time of the winning team on stage! We will even have a online submission system for these smug teams. This event is fun for anyone, any level. Come and try your skills. There is no prize for smug teams sorry.
What are the questions like?The questions are generally simple, but when you are trying to solve them as fast as posssible it's easy to make mistakes! Here is an example from a previous year.
QUESTION1 NATO: The official NATO Phonetic Alphabet is: ["ALFA", "BRAVO", "CHARLIE", "DELTA", "ECHO", "FOXTROT", "GOLF", "HOTEL", "INDIA", "JULIETT", "KILO", "LIMA", "MIKE", "NOVEMBER", "OSCAR", "PAPA", "QUEBEC", "ROMEO", "SIERRA", "TANGO", "UNIFORM", "VICTOR", "WHISKEY", "XRAY", "YANKEE", "ZULU"] The full ceremonial name of Bangkok is: KRUNGTHEPMAHANAKHONAMONRATTANAKOSINMAHINTHARAYUTTHAYAMAHADILOKPHOPNOPPHA RATRATCHATHANIBURIROMUDOMRATCHANIWETMAHASATHANAMONPHIMANAWATANSATHITSAKK ATHATTIYAWITSANUKAMPRASIT Spell each letter out of Bangkok's ceremonial name using the NATO Phonetic Alphabet, for example: KILOROMEOUNIFORM... What is the total length of the final string?
QUESTION2 - Time Machine If I go forward 1 year everytime I activate my time machine, except if it's a Tuesday I go back 2 days, except if it's February 29th on a leap year... then I explode! What year do I explode, if I start on 19th dec 2020?
What's the answer to the sample question?853 and 5148 respectivly.
What do I need to prepare to compete?
- Your sense of fun and adventure. This not meant to be a serious event. You don't need to be clever to win, just cool under pressure and have some luck
- Know how to read a file and print some output in your favourite langage.
- Questions won't involve knowing well known algorithms so rote learning won't help. Writing code without bugs will.
- One laptop per team with a working port to mirror your laptop screen.
- Ensure you know how to increase your font size on your laptop
- A ticket
- Forming a team ahead of time is optional but think of clever team name
Will there be food and drink?There will be snacks like pizza and soft drinks available for free thanks to our sponsors. We will have an offical snack break at 17:15pm. Note no alcohol is allowed at AIS DC.
Can I create my team before the event?It's great if you can come with a team, but you will still need to compete in the qualification round. If at least of one of your team solves the qualification round fastest, they can invite others to join their team of 3-5 people for the knockout round.
Can I come alone without a team?Yes! If you are one of the winners of the qualification round we'll help you find more people to join your team so you have 3-5 total.
Where is the after-party?You will receive an invitation to join the limited afterparty after you get your codewar ticket. You will need to register via the link in this email. Spots will be given on a first code first served basis. You will be told the same day you register for the party if you have been accepted. If there is not enough space at the offical afterparty we will nominate another venue for you to continue the fun with your fellow codewarriors. Only the offical afterparty will have free beer I'm afraid. Sorry.
My community would like to co-host, but is not shown aboveIf your developer community is not listed as a co-host then contact us! ถ้า community ของคุณไม่ได้ลิสไว้ว่าเป็น co-host รบกวนติดต่อเรา
My company would like to sponsorPlease contact us! We are always looking for more sponsors to help cover our costs and donate prizes.
Saturday 19 December 2020:
- 2:00 PM - 2:30 PM: Registration + mingling around
- 2:30 PM - 3:00 PM: Qualification Round 1 - BYO laptop. Team or individual to select 6 teams.
- 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM: Qualification Round 2- 2nd chance. All Audience enters, 2 teams leave
- 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM: Quarter Finals - team vs team. Onstage live, first to finish
- 4:30 PM - 5:15 PM: Semi-finals - team vs. team. Onstage live, first to finish
- 5:15 PM - 5:30 PM: Meal Break
- 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM: Grand Final: team vs team... winner takes all
- 6:00 PM -: After Party